« Home | Hell » | So cool » | Yeah, yeah... » | The Hive » | The cost of proficiency? » | So damn bored » | Bad idea » | Falling into place » | Einstein quotes » | Tick-tock » 

Thursday, April 27, 2006 

"Anatomy of explanation"

Ian told me about this article last night, which critiques Why? by Charles Tilly.

It starts out interesting, when Gladwell outlines the four types of reasons people give.

It becomes brilliant when he ties it to restorative justice and relates the story of Anne and Anthony, a woman and the man who mugged her.

I've never come across anything that cuts to the heart of what restorative justice is all about so quickly and so powerfuly.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the restorative justice part, which is (I hasten to add) straight outta Spinoza. I wish I'd remembered that last night.

Out of Spinoza? How? I was only familiar with its roots in Native approaches to justice.

You've asked me this in person, but for posterity's sake (ha ha), I'll mention it here to; in the Ethic, this sort of thing is pretty much what ol' Baruch was saying we should be doing.

Post a Comment