« Home | Einstein quotes » | Tick-tock » | Strike? » | New in news... kinda... » | Pok » | Malfunction! » | Midnight could come a little quicker » | Bullshit » | Unpleasant » | Shoot me now » 

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 

Falling into place

You know the feeling when you're working on a puzzle and piece after piece just falls into place without trouble? Now imagine that you've been staring at that incomplete puzzle for two years before everything started coming together.

Ever since Christa and I started seeing each other nearly two years ago, we've been doing a weird dance in time and space. We lived in the same city (Guelph) for only about a week. Then she moved back to Mississauga for the summer and we dated for two months. Then she moved to Australia and we existed in limbo. I moved to Toronto. After six months down under, she moved back to Guelph. After school ended last year I moved back to my hometown to work. She moved up to Orillia for the same reason. Then she moved back to Guelph for her fourth year and I continued living in my hometown as I commuted to school.

This is how the last month or so has unfolded:

1. I get a job I badly want. (If you've been reading, you know about this already.) It starts mid-April, runs for a year. It means I get to move back to Guelph.

2. Christa applies for a bunch of summer jobs, one of which could have her working in Manitoba. Within a couple weeks of me hearing about my job, she gets a research assistant gig in a lab on campus for the summer. Which means she'll be living in Guelph this summer too.

3. That weekend, Christa and I go see a dozen apartments in a half dozen buildings around the city. Only one is a definite no. The rest are perfectly managable, and one is perfect. Good location, space and price. We ask them to hold the apartment while we get our application together.

4. We put in our application a few days later. The next day we're approved. Last Thursday we sign the lease.

5. My contract starts April 13. The last day I need to be here at school for the paper is April 12.

6. A huge part of my revenue for the school year falls through. Yesterday I get my 2005 tax return from the government. It's four times the size of the grant that didn't come.

I humbly offer my thanks to whatever deities have been watching out for us.

Oh right, taxes. I could use that money.

congrats on all that, that sounds awesome. :)

Post a Comment