« Home | Shoot me now » | R&R » | Four (more ore less) » | I'm full up » | Wild Man in the lake » | Beams and hatches » | Ellis vs. Whedon » | Two years later » | Saigo » | Models are so fake » 

Thursday, March 02, 2006 

Unpleasant

About $1,000 disappeared from my budget for the next two months this morning.

It was what I thought I was going to get from a tuition grant through Dad's work. Discovered today that I'm no longer eligible. Turns out I'm too old. While I was still 24 when I started the academic year, I was 25 when this calendar year started. We'd thought that didn't matter. It does.

Lesson: Don't depend on what you think you know. Chances are it's wrong.

This means I'll be spending a little more time building suspension modules at the factory over the next month and a half than I'd expected. This also means it's just as well that I can't go to New York for a college journalism conference after all.

I might be able to get some money for just last semester, but I'm not going to depend on it.

Aaron, random question (maybe not so much so seeing as how you mention it in your blog).. I'm looking for a job.. I figured I'd really like (at least for the time being) doing something similar to what you're doing.. How on earth did you get the job you have at the assembly plant (if that's what you meant by building suspension modules)? When I look at the big auto builders in the area, they hardly ever advertise job openings..

Their temporary part time programs tend to be institutionalized nepotism. You have to be offspring or a sibling of an employee to get in. My sister works at the factory I'm at now and my dad works at the plant I worked at last summer.

but.. but..

you and I are brothers... right??? *slips you a fifty* :p

lol just kiddin', thanks for the info!

You're welcome, though I'm sure it wasn't welcome news. Keep an eye out though, I'm not sure what the programs are like at other factories in the area. You could always try the HR departments. They'd probably be helpful, even if it's just a 'we're not hiring yet, but call us back in a month or so...'

oh no worries, i'm not heartbroken.. =P

Post a Comment