« Home | With regards » | So I'm flipping through the Sun... » | Almost there » | POK... » | Guns, guns, guns » | It's fun, trust me » | Fun with words and dictionaries » | POK » | Christmas? » | About my previous post » 

Monday, December 19, 2005 

This school hates me

I arrived at school at 9 a.m. My first exchange of the day was telling a lost guy I didn't know where building G was.

The newsroom was closed so I called the front desk. After holding for five minutes I hung up and went to the washroom. I called again and held for another five minutes. I went to the security desk and they got as far as radioing a guard to go open the room for me before asking to see my after hours pass. You see, technically it's a holiday here. My after hours pass was not in my backpack. They sent me to G230 to get approval or something after deciding the first place they wanted to send me would probably just send me there anyway.

"Go up, take a right and another right," one of them said when I asked how to get there.

Up, right and right took me to building H. Not G.

It's at about this point that I should explain that Humber was probably designed by someone on acid who thought they were an ant designing a colony. On top of that, there is no easily discernable rhyme nor reason to what makes this assymetrical wing one letter and this other another.

I went back to the newsroom, hoping to find that somebody else had come in to finish the magazine and had the foresight to bring an after hours pass. I turned down the hall and the green door was open into the hall. I walked in and the securty guard was there, waiting for me to sort out my after hours pass problem. Which I hadn't, so off I went again.

I'll summarize the rest as best I can so you can get back to blog surfing.

A trip to our faculty office had the cute brunette behind the desk consulting a map and sending me on my merry way. About where she said I should go (the map is really no help because it's a patchwork of blocks with letter labels but no hallways), I found a big G with an arrow pointing up. The stairs beside the G took me to E2, E3, and E4, but no G. On E2 a lady asked me if I know where F was and another lady sent me down where she thought G might be, but wasn't. In desperation I went to Guelph Humber (there's a G in that), but it was GH. Then I went down a staircase and found myself in front of the security desk again.

The lady waved me up and when I said I hadn't found G230 yet, she shook her head and said someone else had shown up anyway.

At 9:45 a.m I walked into the empty newsroom.