« Home | Bottomless » | Blogger glitch » | Did I have a point? » | Rising oil » | "Teen brain syndrome"? I don't remember that one ... » | Sleep » | The Code Project » | Popcorn » | Sated » | Why? » 

Wednesday, October 20, 2004 

Like flipping a switch

Off.

On.

That's what my mind did twenty minutes ago.

Asleep.

Awake.

No groggy fumble toward alertness. No gradual awareness of something other than blackness. No blaring alarm to prompt the whole process. Just 'off', then 'on.'

I opened my eyes in the pitch black, just suddenly awake. Praying it was later than I thought it was, I leaned over and brought my little travel alarm up to my face.

2:30 a.m.

Bloody marvelous.

Only four hours before I should be getting up. At least I have three and a half hours of sleep already under my belt. Oddly, that's exactly how much sleep I got Monday night... Hmmm...