« Home | Hungry » | Cartoon villainy too psycho for Jacklin » | Spiritual purity by default. » | Restless as all hell » | "Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" » | *Cackles madly* » | I'm not Edward Norton » | How to be a villain » | Thank you Douglas Coupland » | It's not, "Thou shalt not kill." » 

Sunday, March 07, 2004 

Origins of the Villainy Project

I don't remember when I noticed, but at some point it struck me that fictional heroes don't have any fun. They're a grim, brooding, introspective lot who just troop through life doing what they think is right for the good of humanity.

Then I noticed the villains were the ones having all the fun.

[Tangent: I think the next story I write will be about a hero who is having a blast thwarting the grim, brooding, introspective villain who is doing what he thinks is right but is unsure of the morality of his methods. On second thought, maybe not. Probably wouldn't catch anybody's interest. On third thought, screw whether people are interested or not. It might be fun to write.]

It struck me that all of the things I was describing the heroes as also applied to me. I think I'm a fairly grim, brooding, introspective guy who's just doing what he thinks is right because its the right-thing-to-do.

No hero by any stretch of the imagination, but far from a villain.

From there it was a fairly short leap to: No wonder I'm having less fun than I could be.

Out of that came the Villainy Project. And if you're skeptical about me using such a silly approach to putting more fun in my life, then you're MISSING THE POINT.