« Home | Thank you Douglas Coupland » | It's not, "Thou shalt not kill." » | True, but... » | Oops » | Myers-Briggs meets Cupid » | Beer. Yuck. » | A different street » | The Hitch Hiker's Guide to this Discussion » | Gay marriages in the States » | A snapshot » 

Friday, March 05, 2004 

How to be a villain

Okay. I've had it. I'm fed up. Let's try something new.

This month's tongue-in-cheek project takes the following statement as a starting point: fictional villains seem to have more fun than most of the people around them.

So, this month I will devote a sizable chunk of time to figuring out what principles fictional villains live by that makes life so damn much fun and experiment with applying those principles in my life. Stay tuned for case studies, analysis, and stories about my attempts.

Now, I expect these principles to break many of the rules for being a good guy. Makes sense, doesn't it? Villains aren't exactly good guys, now are they?

There's a thing in writing about breaking rules that transfers to design. Steph and I talked about it once recently. It probably applies here too. Before you can get away with breaking the rules, you have to have a firm grasp of what they are.

Dissent if you like, but I'm fairly certain I've got a grasp on the rules for being a good guy.

So, my goal is to become a villain and get away with it.

I expect disaster to ensue.

It should be fun.