« Home | Grinding my teeth » | Dropping from the sky? » | Bush to name impartial commission » | Hmmm... » | Guelph sizzling » | Oxygen found on extrasolar planet » | Disjointed and craving » | Calvin="Jack", Hobbes=Tyler Durden » | The point of this » | Taking the frozen path » 

Sunday, February 08, 2004 

Fuck it. I choose being happy.

It's always amazed me how many memories get tied in with a particular song or album if you listen to it a lot. It's funny what kind of memories are called back up if you listen to such an album after a year or so.

Claire and I just watched Mr. Deeds and then I popped Dave Matthews' Busted Stuff in so we could listen again to Where Are You Going?

We listened to song after song, talking about which albums we associate with different parts of our lives.

As each song by Mr. Matthews played, I realized that the dominant memory being called up was of being happy.

I got Busted Stuff for my birthday about a year and a half ago and listened to it quite a bit. Often when I was working alone at the gas station, reading The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy between customers.

It was shortly after Bronwyn, the girl I was in love with at the time, returned home from Europe and a couple months before that love died.

I was happy then, and that's the feeling I remembered tonight while listening to the album. It made me realize that I haven't really been happy since.

Which is bloody stupid. What a way to waste more than a year.

You know what I say to that? Screw it. There's too much good in the world for me not to be happy.

I once heard someone say that being happy doesn't mean that your life is perfect. Instead, it means accepting that it never will be.