« Home | Game criticism » | It's not what you think » | Writing about science » | Eudaimonia » | Stay the fuck off the island » | Saving tabs » | Little Napoleon » | New blog to read » | I do like my job » | Zidane » 

Monday, July 17, 2006 

Long live the lizard brain

I like this Clive Thompson guy.

I definitely agree about first-person shooters; while I enjoy the narrative and puzzle elements of games like Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime, I don't play them for that. If I want good narrative, I'll pick up a book or a movie or a good television series. I play these games for the short periods where there's nothing between me and an unknown number of (usually supernatural or at least alien) enemies but a loaded weapon.

If that sounds disturbing you probably have let your lizard brain atrophy.