« Home | Reconnecting to society » | Nope, only two » | "You need a drink" » | The move » | Three entries in thirty minutes? » | My MSN name from Wednesday: 'What a truly excellen... » | I saw a ghost today » | This week's to-do list » | About time! » | Why I'm ticked at the god of timing » 

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 

Week two: bundle of pain

Last week was interesting. This entry will be brief and kind of clipped. It would have been longer had I had access and time to file it on Saturday.

Sunday through Thursday I alternated between calisthenics and martial arts, with flexibility still a daily thing. Wednesday Christa and I went for a relatively long walk.

Among other advances, I made it to twenty pushups, was getting the tips of all five digits on the floor when touching my toes and was touching the toes of the foot propped on the hip-high bar.

Wednesday's walk screwed up my knee for the next few days, but the pain was good because it showed me the weakness there. Daily sessions of special stretches and exercises brought that back under control, though it will still be prone to re-injury if I'm not careful.

Friday was moving day, so other than flexibility exercises, I just left it to moving furniture to give me some exercise. Having woke up stiff and sore from the week's activities, I knew it was going to be a painful day.

Martial arts drills went well, though I'm going to have to start hitting things soon. Striking and kicking the air is good for technique and speed, but doesn't do a damn thing to condition hands and feet to absorb the impact of actually hitting things. No martial arts training happened from Thursday through Saturday, so there will be some catch up to do.

Eating and sleeping were terrible. My diet was horribly unbalanced and erratic last week. Thursday's all-you-can-eat buffet at the Indian restaurant downtown was a bad idea. Friday I somehow missed breakfast and lunch and didn't eat until around four. Just plain dumb.

I was up late every night and woke up at random times. Wednesday I got up at 5:30 a.m. Other days I got up closer to noon. I've got to bring that under control soon.