« Home | Mission accomplished » | The joy of pet stores » | I hope I never meet the god of timing » | I need an address » | Movies, movies, movies... » | Insult to injury » | Hello? Anybody out there? » | Big Fish still excellent » | The Villainy Project » | In other news... » 

Friday, April 23, 2004 

Week one: wad of cookie dough

At some point during Fight Club, the narrator says something like, "A guy came to Fight Club for the first time, his ass was a wad of cookie dough. After a few weeks, he was carved out of wood."

I've been getting up and working out every day this week. I alternate between martial arts drills one day and calisthenics the next, with thorough stretching daily.

I've come to the conclusion that however healthy I am, I'm just a wad of cookie dough.

My wind is gone, so after a mere half hour of light drills my heart is racing and I'm nearly out of breath.

My muscles, while still firm, are of little use. I'm straining by my thirteenth pushup.

My flexibility... Jesus, it makes me shudder to even think about it. With one foot up on a bar that's slightly higher than my waist, I'm getting a stretch in my hams without even having to lean forward.

However, the flexibility is improving already since the beginning of the week. I could lean forward a little today. Sunday, I couldn't. Sunday, my hams were screaming before I'd even fully straightened my leg.

My sleep patterns are still out of whack. Some days I'm up at 9am, others I'm asleep until 11am. One day I was up at 5:30am. Today was good. I woke before my alarm sounded at 7am. I need to stabilize that before I actually get a job.

My technique is improving. Kicks were incredibly inefficient early in the week with a lot of motion wasted just trying to stay balanced. There was little of that today.

Footwork still leaves a lot to be desired. I still have to think about where I put my feet, compared to a long time ago when I just had to think about where I wanted to be and how quickly I needed to be there.