« Home | The joy of pet stores » | I hope I never meet the god of timing » | I need an address » | Movies, movies, movies... » | Insult to injury » | Hello? Anybody out there? » | Big Fish still excellent » | The Villainy Project » | In other news... » | Soaking in the apocalypse » 

Wednesday, April 21, 2004 

Mission accomplished

For Leaf fans everywhere, Ian, Jer and I sacrificed watching the game last night so that they would win. You see, it seems that every Leaf game that Jer watches ends with a loss for our boys in blue and white.

Instead we went to see Kill Bill, Vol. 2.

Yes, I hated the first. Yes, I swore up and down I wouldn't see the second.

Fortunately, enough people said Vol. 2 was different from the first that I considered changing my mind. Then Christa made me promise to see it.

Thank god.

Everything that drove me mad about the first - excessive violence, minimal character development, minimal dialogue, etc. - was reversed in the second. Vol. 2 was character-driven, not plot-driven. The dialogue was excellent and the fight scenes, while few and far between, were choreographed with a savage grace made all the more beautiful for how it contrasted the rest of the movie.

In conversation with Ian and Jer afterword, I realized the thing I hated most about the first was that Bill was this disembodied representation of evil. If we've ever discussed how I feel about 'evil' you'll understand why that drove me crazy. In Vol. 2, he's human.

I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but I will say that I liked it until she goes to confront Bill. What came after made me love it.

That's all you'll hear from me. Go see the damn movie.