« Home | Bu-bye facial hair » | Foul tasting beverages » | Fuck you computer » | In Guelph 'till tomorrow » | Grin and bear it » | I have messed up dreams » | The Code: Women and Dating » | To all DJs... » | Oops » | True brain tap » 

Tuesday, April 06, 2004 

Kids are funny

On Sunday I went to Brooklin, Ontario for my cousin Lisa's surprise 32nd birthday party.

Her husband, Grant, put it together. He told her a few people would be there, but didn't tell her that a half dozen family members would be making the two and a half hour trip to attend.

Lisa is pregnant, was very surprised and looked happy to see us. Then she cried.

After wishing her a happy birthday I went into the kitchen to say hi to other family members that were gathered there preparing food. In the midst of them my baby cousin Gavin was standing in front of the kitchen sink. For his age, he's a blond giant.

Several feet from him, I squated down until my eyes were level with his, smiled and said, "Hello, Gavin." And waited.

It's the same strategy I've always used with small children, animals, and... Well, just about everybody. It's not a consciously thought out strategy, just the one that worked when I was little and that continues to work. In most cases. Keep my distance, make a small gesture that shows friendly intent and then wait. If they want to come closer, cool. If not, I'm not going to force myself on them.

Gavin cocked his head, looked me straight in the eyes and toddled over until his nose was two inches from my own. Still staring me in the eyes. Grinning. He babbled something at me and let me hug him.

Kids are funny.