« Home | One word: awesome » | Valentine's Day sucks » | The Missing » | The Love Interest » | The Paper » | The Past » | The Blood » | The House » | The Cast » | "Who can say what is good and what is bad." » 

Sunday, February 15, 2004 

From the ER waiting room, part one: senior protest

Yesterday while waiting to be seen for hours at the Guelph General Hospital's ER, I watched what may have been the most ineffective protest I've ever heard of.

At first I didn't even know it was a protest. An old man was marching up and down the sidewalk in front of the hospital. I thought he was waiting for a bus and was walking to keep warm. A bus drove by. He continued walking back and forth.

Claire, Ryan and I then thought he may be crazy. But there was a small sign planted in the snow facing the street, so we were quite puzzled.

Eventually three more older people showed up. One carried a half-sandwich board sign that read 'Abortion Kills Children.'

The four of them marched up and down a thirty-foot stretch of sidewalk for nearly three hours.

I kept hoping more people would join them. I wished I had my voice recorder and a camera. Hell, even just a notebook and a pen.

But then again, my name might have been called at any moment and if I was out interviewing senior citizens I would have missed it.

Oh well.