« Home | For those who've all but given up checking... » | Google just blew my mind. Again. » | One more » | Fun meme » | "I'm slapping Rolls-Royce engines into untested fl... » | Real honour » | More » | Bill Watterson interview » | Ache » | Read, pass on, boycott » 

Friday, August 25, 2006 

Global anger

The premise: Global Frequency is an international rescue operation that answers to no government. There are a thousand and one ordinary people scattered across the world who are a part of the organization. Each is an expert in some field.

And each is willing to drop whatever it is they're doing to help rescue strangers from, for example, the end result of some almost forgotten cold war plot that's been activated by mistake.

"The whole planet is an unexploded bomb," says Miranda Zero, the mastermind behind the conspiracy. "That's why we're here."

Ian introduced me to this excellent comic by Warren Ellis recently. I consumed all 12 issues as quickly as I could. Today we watched a copy of the - illegally - downloaded pilot episode for the television show that died on the table.

Think the best episode of The X-Files (except better) and you have an idea of what we're talking about here.

This fucking thing had me tearing up in places. And not because it was sweet or sad. It was mind-numbingly hardcore. But it was so inspiring and that's what touched me. It's about regular people deciding in an instant that they will help because they're needed. Even if it's dangerous. Even if they might die.

Through Ian, I've been reading Kung Fu Monkey lately. He (John Rogers) was involved in making the pilot. This post (which I see that Ian has linked to already today) about making the pilot is just astounding. Can you imagine someone working on a television show breaking out in tears at the mere IDEA of something like this being real? Read this post and you'll start to understand.

And they had the writing team behind Angel onboard!

I'm so fucking angry.

"This fucking thing had me tearing up in places. And not because it was sweet or sad. It was mind-numbingly hardcore. But it was so inspiring and that's what touched me."

Yes. Yes!

Post a Comment