« Home | *sigh* » | Fine, let's do this » | I hate these discussions » | Powell: Troops would leave Iraq should Iraqis ask » | Melbourne location, Thai cuisine, French letters » | The Weapon Project » | Troy debrief » | Couldn't have said it better » | No, sunshine and rainbows wouldn't fit the template » | Public service announcement » 

Saturday, May 15, 2004 

This is why I can't seem to walk away

Let's clarify something here that probably nobody cares about. The only part of this debate that I hate is the fact that it's over a movie I enjoyed. The rest is - or should be - fun. I should also say that neither Ian nor myself are angry with each other. We do this all the time.

So, let's get back to it then.

Ian says, "I'm not faulting Aaron for believing the above, but I will say he has a lot more faith in human nature than I do."

I have a great deal of faith in human nature, but not in the way Ian suggests. We're imperfect, and I have faith in that. But that's got absolutely nothing to do with what I said there. What I said is that someone who reads 'inspired by' and thinks 'faithful interpretation' doesn't understand the terms. I did not say that I trust people to know the difference. In other words, I don't care if they do or not. The movie is clearly labeled as not being the Illiad. If people don't understand the labels, there is no damage done to Homer's work.

Ian also says, "Of the (admittedly possibly fairly sizable) minority who go pick up the Iliad, how far do you think most of them will get? Again, maybe I just don't have that much faith in people when it comes to this. I would love to be wrong."

Most of them probably won't get far. And even if they don't get far, they've still picked it up to read. Something many of them wouldn't have even tried before seeing the movie. But regardless of how far they get, Homer's work isn't damaged.

For Homer's work to be damaged, Troy would have had to have made it impossible for people to understand the Illiad. Troy doesn't have the power to do that and if Ian is crediting it with that much power, I disagree.

Ian also says, "God knows I'm not worried about Aaron reacting to the movie in a damaging way."

Thank you, but I'm unclear how someone could react to it in a damaging way.