« Home | I hate my job » | Insane » | Exactly » | Pain » | Mine was jagged and spiked » | Don't read this » | Excellent. Just excellent. » | E-mail pruning » | Just spent » | Charting your politics » 

Monday, March 15, 2004 

I'm serious

I'm sitting here at work trying to think of a reason not to quit.

I've been trying for five minutes. Five minutes ago I got the urge to stand up, put on my coat, hitch my bag over my shoulder, say loudly "I quit" and walk from the office.

The only reason I can come up with not to is financial. It would be very nice to get another couple of paycheques. And really, that's all that's left. Maybe two more pay periods.

But try as I might, I can't come up with another reason. My job doesn't matter. Students don't care about it. I don't even care about it anymore.

To care I would need support from my editor. But any support I get from her is meaningless because I can't ask for any support in nailing the bastards down the hall in student government for doing shitty jobs because the bastards are my editor's close friends. I can't ask and she's sure as hell not going to offer. It galls me to admit it, but I (News) need a different kind of support from the editor-in-chief than any of the other section editors (Arts & Culture, Features or Sports). And I'm not getting it.

I'm so damn tired of the petty politics of the second floor and of the apathy of the self-involved students at this university.