« Home | Bush good for something » | Lies, all lies » | Yes, our fault. Completely. So sorry. » | Riot in Sydney » | It took this long? » | From the ER waiting room, part one: senior protest » | One word: awesome » | Valentine's Day sucks » | The Missing » | The Love Interest » 

Tuesday, February 17, 2004 

All things considered

Other than finding out I didn't get the job I wanted, Friday was a damn good day.

After many failed attempts - because I always forget something - I left the office early.

Shannon and I had been trying and failing to connect all week. I had given her a hand in the lab on Wednesday. We agreed that we'd get together for a coffee or something Friday, regardless of whether my news back from the hiring committee was good or not. I met her at her lab and we went to the mall to do some shopping.

We started in Chapters, where I found two books that I've since plowed most of the way through. We went trawling through La Senza, Shannon finding nothing she wanted. We ended up in some women's clothing store searching for a new shirt for her Valentine's Day date the next day with her boyfriend Dave.

I parked my keister on a cushy stool and started one of my books as Shannon modeled shirts she liked. It wasn't long before she decided she needed a skirt too, so I got the role of honest straight boy, critiquing each outfit. Shannon being fit and good looking, that was hardly a chore.

I'd read a page or so as she changed, she'd come out and pirouette, I'd give her my opinion of how good it made her look or how it didn't flatter her, she'd pout if a skirt she particularly liked was too large for her waist (which happened often), I'd commiserate, she'd go try on the next one, I'd read another page or so.

"Is it a bad thing that I'm actually enjoying this?" I asked at one point.

"I don't think so," she called back through the change room door, laughing.

She decided on a black silky button down shirt and a loose black and white patterned skirt that went to her knees. With her hair down, the effect was stunning.

We went back to her apartment after stopping at the liquor store and a bakery. We watched television, made and ate pizza, drank some peach shnapps & Sprite. We watched a movie, Dave called, I checked my email as they chatted. We watched the rest of the movie, I did most of the dishes, I thanked her for an excellent day and went to Ian's.

Ian, Jer, Kiernan and I drank until late in the night. Jer walked home and I crashed on the pull-out couch. I woke early, rode the bus home and had pain so bad in my lower back that I could barely move or breathe. I spent the rest of the day in an ER waiting room to get it checked out.

I seem to be fine, with only a minor twinge in the area the pain was centered.