« Home | Think, don't panic » | Be kind to strangers » | A matter of principle » | Bio » | Water on Mars! » | Conflicting goals of criminal justice system » | Pocket explosives » | I spent twenty minutes in a blizzard waiting for a... » 

Friday, January 30, 2004 

Not a review

Imagine you have two young daughters. You live with them and your husband in a trailer. You work nights cleaning a university. Then one day you faint, take a trip to the hospital and discover you have cancer so bad it'll kill you in three months.

Did I mention that you're only 23?

Such is the set-up for Sarah Polley's latest film, My Life Without Me.

I saw it Wednesday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was sad without being depressing. In a number of ways it was oddly heartwarming, though as Steph said after we watched it, it had its cheesy moments.

The opening scene made me chuckle though. In it Polley is standing barefoot in the grass, in the rain, soaking wet, just feeling it sluice over her.

I laughed because I've done that. Two summers ago. I was in an odd mood, feeling twitchy and disconnected. The girl I was dating at the time was on another continent, having gone to France for four months.

The rain was coming down one night and I'd never just stood in a downpour. So I took off my shirt and went out into the backyard of the house I was sub-letting wearing nothing but an old pair of cargo pants.

I must have stood there with my eyes closed for nearly a half hour. When I came back in, I was calm again. Sane again.